Sunday, January 20, 2008

20/1/08-Great Eastern 30 km Run

I almost wanted to stop !!


Its true ! This was one of my most tiring race . I was at around top 50 for the 1st 10 km and going at a decent pace . But...my legs were getting very tired and I'm not surprise . There was very little sleep this past 3 to 4 days .I was involved in a conference organised by my friend and had to fetch people to and from airport , some in the wee hours of the morning . All these distrupted my sleep pattern and rest .In fact , this 3 to 4 days , I felt very tired and sleepy and was wondering if I can do well in the GE 30 km race .

So after running for about 10 km and when we arrived after the Tugu Kebangsaan , I had an option to just run straight to Lake Garden ,get my car and go home , resulting in a DNF .But ... my mind said just persevere . So I persevere but was getting slow at the 12 to 13 km mark .

One by one , people started overtaking me , at least 50 or so . Those whom knew me were surprised that I'm at this pace and so slow . First it was Chen , then Raymond Ng . In fact , Raymond Ng did encourage me to run with him for awhile , which i managed just awhile . Suddenly I see 1 fast runner ( Hamidon ) ,walking back and I announced to Raymond , who was then 20 m in front that I want to follow Hamidon . Other people at the back 20 m behind who heard me say that laughed and thought I was joking . In fact ,I wasn't , I was really tired that those people at the back of me slowly overtook me .But I kept going because I malu to DNF as I never DNF in any race in my life before .

Later Raymond Hee also overtook me .He was also surprised at my condition but Iexplained to him and he understood .

At the junction almost reaching Jln Duta, Geraldine came from the back . I thought since she is my familiar trainning partner that I will just pace with her . It was faster then my current slow pace but it helped .

Going into Hartamas , Zulazlan also overtook us . Later as we head towards Petronas , we can see some familiar faces , including those friends who have overtaken me . So , after coming out of Petronas and into the downhill after the Hartamas Shopping Centre , I increased the speed going a slight downhill and overtook Zulazlan . It was quite a fast speed and I surprised my self that I can still go at that pace .

But as we reached the Jln Duta Tennis Courts , I slowed down again and Shine came from behind . I thought I might as well pace with him the last 5 km . But it was more of a race too coz we were also trying to outrun each other .

With the signboard showing another 3 km to go , I managed to up the pace and he as strong as ever stayed just behind me . It was hard to run away from him coz he is like a leech ! With another 1 km to go at the Lake Club , I know we are almost finishing and I upped the pace further and he stayed closely . Finally at the last 100 m , it was a very fast run to the finish and he then managed to outsprint me at the finish with just another 20 m to go and beat me by 1 second !!

Overall , I am not very happy with this race but then I can also say that with all the little rest and sleep , this is to be expected . 2ndly , I was surprised and also happy that being so very tired at the 1st 10 km and when it looked like I was going to do above 3 hours at a very slow pace , suddenly I had 2 friends to pace with at the last 15 km and it motivated me to at least get
2hr 51min 46 sec , far from my Marathon pacing , far from last year's timing of 2hr 37 min and not achieving my target of at least 2 hr 45 and below.

Try again next time , hopefully with more rest .

Tommorow (Monday) ,I'll be preapring for some major muscle aches !!


5 comments:

Raymond said...

I was shocked to see u at the Plaza Damas area!It's true,insufficient sleep really plays havoc on our performances.
No worries kenny,everyone knows your real capability of running sub 2.30,today was just one of your rare off days!

Anonymous said...

my rare off day that race too!!!!

shine

Kenny said...

Yah , very very teruk off day , today my leg aches like anything .

Kit said...

hi kenny, no worries about your 30 km run. It was just one of those days... it was a tough run to begin with and i am sure you will be back stonger.

Thanks for your comment about the Singapore marathon (1st 20 km pacing),

Cheers,
Kit

Kenny said...

Kit , Yup , hope to be back stronger , thanks for the encouragement and pacing at S'pore .